Saturday 12 March 2011

Solving Mysteries, and Leaving Them Unsolved

Recently I have been writing about the same characters a lot. I didn't set out to do this, I just had lots of ideas, and as they've come to fruition I've realised that the tone and the behaviour of the pair slots together. The story of these characters has become a jigsaw puzzle to me, all the pieces in the wrong order with the gaps just begging to be filled.

I don't want to write a chronological account of the encounters of these characters, as I feel it would lose a lot of the romance. Nor do I want to fill in ALL the gaps, as I think it would ruin the mystery of how the characters connect. All I know is that I cannot stop writing them, nor do I especially want to as they can be sickeningly cute at times and so gut-wrenchingly heartbreaking at others.

I've never felt so controlled by characters that I knew so little about. I don't even know their names. The male protagonist is occasionally referred to as Andrew, but the female has never revealed her name to me, and I wonder if it's silly of me to think that maintaining her anonymity helps the story to be more relatable, as if she were not one person but many.

Strange times. But writing is an adventure - you never know what's going to come at you next. I wouldn't have it any other way.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites